50 Point Standard
The Champion’s Promise To Our Customers
Section I: Professionalism
- Champion SoftWash pledges to meet and maintain local minimum licensing standards. Business licenses are kept on hand and available in the office and on the service and sales trucks.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to adhere to North Carolina’s minimum standards liability insurance, auto insurance and workers’ compensation insurance. Insurance certificates are kept on hand and available in the office and on the service and sales trucks.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to identify their vehicles clearly with company name, logo, and contact information according to local standards. Champion SoftWash understands that this is not only law in some communities, but also good business practice.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to present customers with clear and complete proposals, before commencing contracted work. This proposal will be on a printed business form or type written proposal.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to produce a complete and correct scope of work for customer’s approval before commencing contracted work. This scope of work will be on a printed business form or by type written contract or scope.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to run background checks on employees, not placing customers in possible jeopardy. Employees with questionable backgrounds will be utilized only in areas where interaction with the public is not possible.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use their website for company promotion, customer education, and commerce.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to wear uniforms for professionalism as well as for safety. Champion SoftWash understands that uniforms are key in presenting a clean professional company.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to issue company identification badges for all employees. ID Badges will show the company logo, appropriate SoftWash Systems co-branding, employees name, employees photo, and employees job title/position.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to resolve customer complaints quickly and equitably, closing the complaint to the best of the member’s ability.
Section II: Equipment
- Champion SoftWash pledges to make sure softwashing cleaning equipment will meet all sub-parts of this section. Each standard will be applied to member’s equipment whether retail manufactured, custom designed, or owner installed.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that when using chemicals for softwash cleaning that the outgoing pressure of the application pump (at the pump head) does not exceed 100 PSI.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that when using chemicals for softwash cleaning that the outgoing pressure of the application apparatus (at the spray tip) does not exceed 80 PSI.
- Champion SoftWash pledges, when applying the softwash cleaning chemical solution, directly on an asphalt shingle surface, contractor will use a fan spray tip (15-60 degrees) at a safe distance. It is to be no closer than 24” from the surface of the roof.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that softwash cleaning that utilizes a zero-degree stream tip is for chemical application only. Applications utilizing a zero-degree stream tip are for long distance applications of chemical in excess of ten (10) feet.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to that they will not in any situation use mechanical agitation for removal of stains from roofing materials. Mechanical agitation can be but is not limited to, high pressure washing over 200 psi, use of flat surface cleaners, brushing, scrubbing, or scraping.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to have written standards for cleaning processes using various techniques and chemical ratios for cleaning different roof and exterior surfaces. Training specific to member’s equipment will be made available to users/employees.
- Champion Softwash pledges to insure that spraying equipment and holding tanks are maintained and not leaking, or illegally emitting chemicals and/or VOC’s.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that equipment; either mounted to trailers and or directly to motorized vehicles, will be secured in accordance with US DOT standards. Mounts should be inspected and rated bi-annually.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that spraying equipment tanks conform to US DOT standards and remain within carrying capacities based upon drivers licensing. Furthermore, tanks holding chemicals should not be broken down or weakened by the chemicals stored within.
Section III: Chemicals
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use SoftWash Systems Good Stewards softwashing chemicals & surfactants for their softwash cleaning operations.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to follow the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association (ARMA) Technical Bulletin for cleaning roofs, including accepted chemicals.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use chemicals that have been tested and approved for mixing with hypochlorite solutions.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to become educated on the safety and usage of softwash cleaning chemicals, their storage, and the impact they may have on the environment.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to mix their roof cleaning chemical solution strictly according to the chemical manufacturers label and provide training to employees on mixing chemicals that are available to them.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to ensure that the final cleaning solution shall not exceed a PH of 12 or an overall hypochlorite percentage of 4% for cleaning roofs. Exceeding a PH of 12 or an overall hypochlorite percentage of 4% will result in a solution that is too corrosive and detrimental to many roofing types, possibly voiding the roofing manufacturer’s warranty.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to ensure that chemicals are carried/transported in accordance with manufacturer’s label (and take the steps necessary) to keep incompatible chemicals from interacting with each other.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use chemicals like Tri-sodium phosphate in any roof cleaning solution as applicable by local law. Chemicals like TSP are unregulated in many areas but strictly regulated in others. Champion SoftWash is educated to the use and transportation of chemicals within their commerce area.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use chemicals that are environmentally responsible and/or biodegradable. Where this is not possible, Champion SoftWash utilizes proper disposal and/or collection methods to insure that good stewardship of the environment is observed.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to keep Material Safety Data Sheets (SDS) for each chemical carried and in use on their truck. Champion SoftWash has received training on chemical disposal as well as spill clean-up and removal. Trucks that transport more than 119 gallons of hazardous chemicals carry shipping papers, a spill contingency plan, local emergency numbers, as well as contact info for Chemtreck or InfoTrack, which is required by law in all 50 states.
Section IV: Safety
- Champion SoftWash pledges to participate in yearly educational opportunities that are abundant within the cleaning community and at SoftWash Academy. A list of some of those opportunities will be kept on the Soft-Wash Systems Community website to aide Champion SoftWash with education elements.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to be proficient in the proper placement of ladders regarding correct angle of slant. Member should be able to explain in detail the types, parts, and proper placement of a ladder to ensure no movement will occur.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to be proficient in fall safety, the safe use of body harnesses, the inspection of fall positioning and or arrest equipment, and the required times of use of fall positioning and/or arrest equipment. Champion SoftWash is educated in the proper use of anchoring systems associated with the use of these systems.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to be proficient in the safe manner of accessing, ascending, and walking a roof. Champion SoftWash has received training for proper roof traversing techniques.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to be proficient in the use and operation of high lift equipment if and when it may be used during the course of business. Champion SoftWash are trained and approved by the company safety officer and/or equipment rental company before using high lifts.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to use respirators and/or nuisance gas masks. Champion SoftWash are trained in the proper use, care, and storage of respirators. Employers are very strongly advised to have an OSHA respirator program in place that is applicable with the type of mask in use.
- Champion Softwash pledges to use safety eyewear/face shield whenever mixing or spraying chemicals and/or during operation of equipment that creates potential for eye accidents. Champion SoftWash has undergone training for the use of eye protection.
- Whereas State or Federal DOT requires operators to have a commercial drivers’ license and/or other endorsements, Champion SoftWash pledges to comply with these requirements.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to insure that remaining and/or refuse chemical containers are cleaned out after use and discarded (preferably recycled) in accordance to their local municipalities’ regulations.
- Champion SoftWash pledges to inspect and rate their equipment regularly to ensure that the equipment standards are met, avoiding damage to customers’ roofs as well as possible safety risks.
Section V: Education
- Champion SoftWash provides a “First Aid” class. Champion SoftWash keeps documentation of this training for all helpers and employees.
- Champion SoftWash provides a “ladder safety and inspection” class. Champion SoftWash performs regular inspections of ladders for damaged, worn, or missing hardware.
- Champion SoftWash provides a “Personal Protection Equipment” (PPE) class. Champion SoftWash are keeps proper documentation of assignment and use of PPE by helpers and/or employees.
- Champion SoftWash provides a Fall Protection Training Class to their employees. Champion SoftWash keep documentation of this training for all helpers and employees.
- Champion SoftWash has completed a DOT safety review. This is a free service provided by the State Commercial Vehicle Compliance Office. Champion SoftWash are advised to keep documentation of this review.
- Champion SoftWash has completed proper training for application of roof and exterior cleaning solutions to ensure that the building surface life is extended and no damages occur.
- Champion SoftWash is trained in the recommended procedure for collection of “run-off” or waste streams, following local municipal BMP’s. (Best Management Practices) and as not to violate the US Clean Water Act.
- Champion SoftWash attends small business workshops and/or utilizes entrepreneurial centers in the area. Champion SoftWash understands that business is ever evolving and as our business grows, it will interact with differing laws and governmental requirements we may be unaware of.
- Champion SoftWash employees have received all of the above training from a vocational school like SoftWash Academy. Champion SoftWash keeps documentation of this training for all helpers and employees.
- Champion SoftWash employees complete a total of 12 credits of annual Continuing Educational Units, (CEUs) for professional improvement yearly. Champion SoftWash keeps documentation of this training for any and all employees.